Saturday 10 August 2013

BT - the lessons so far,

So I've eventually got a phone call from someone at BT
And an explanation of what should have happened. No real explanation about why  I was given such a run-around  and why the electronic switch (because thats all it was) couldn't have been sorted out earlier.

Things I have learned about BT so far.

  • The Call Centre is hopeless. Their remit is to  say whatever is necessary to get the customer to go away.
  • BT would appear to be a megalith that is too big to be efficient, at least for domestic customers  
  • They are too keen on getting you to spend more money on new things rather than providing the service you a are paying for.
  • Rural customers get a really bad deal.

When my parents first  got a telephone - must be 50 years ago - there were free phone calls after 6pm, so phone calls before then were restricted . And there were different rates for different times of the day.
the technology has improved enormously - packet switching , no telephonists connecting you , better cabling. So why , other than to take advantage of the customers , are they charging me a ridiculous amount for a few electrons to whiz along a cable ? No doubt some of my  money is going towards this (but to give him his due , he responded  more promptly than anyone else in BT to anything so far.

And now the phone deal that came with the BB probably isn't right , so I need to try and sort that out.
I can look forward to spending hours of my life that I will never get back again, listening to some drivel about 'up to 32 MB' when I know I will get nowhere near that speed  

Sadly I'm tied in to this shambolic megacorp for 12 months.

No comments:

Post a Comment